Baltimore Washington Eye Center, Maryland

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Myths and Misconceptions

"If I tear all the time, why do you say I have dry eye"

This certainly sounds like a contradiction. Your eyes are wet but I tell you they are dry. We are actually both correct! The explanation is that when I am using the term dry eye, in reality I mean- tear dysfunction. Most people with symptoms do not lack tears, the problem occurs because the quality of their tears is not adequate. This irritates the cornea which sends a message to the lacrimal gland to go into overdrive. This excess of tears is what causes your symptoms. With appropriate treatment these symptoms will abate.

Please take some time to read the section, Dry Eye, in our website for more information.

Arturo E Betancourt MD FACS